Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom. - Theodore Isaac Rubin

Thursday, September 27, 2007

A Young Hero

I Love Hero Stories :)

A teenager from my state, Illinois, pulled an elderly woman from her car right before it was hit by TWO trains. I have heard that it's kind of a natural thing for our brains to generalize groups of people - but I have heard a lot of negative, very illegal, comments at my place of employment since I started about "kids" - so I would like to point out that not all young people are bad and they don't deserve the stereotypes they get.

The woman said her car stalled right on the tracks and she was in such a daze, she didn't remember much but thinking that her life was over. This young man saw the train coming, jumped out of his car, and ran to her rescue. After knocking on the windows and realizing she seemed very out of it, he removed her from the car and carried her to safety and then shielder her body with his own in case the impact caused debris to fly that way.

Happy story for the day :) Anyone else have a hero story to share?